- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serves: 5 People
Ingredients to make aloo gobi punjabi dhaba style :
- 1 medium head cauliflower/gobi
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 3-4 garlic + ½ inch ginger – crushed
- 1 – 2 green chilies crushed
- ½ tsp fennel seed ( sonf)
- ½ cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 – 2 coriander cumin powder
- 1 – 2 dry red chilies
- ½ tsp punjabi garam masala powder
- ½ tsp crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves
- 1.5 cups water – add a ½ cup more if required
- 4-5 tbsp oil for the fry
- salt as required
How to make aloo gobi punjabi dhaba style :
Chop a cauliflower into medium florets. Rinse well and keep aside.
- Heat 3 cups water with salt and a pinch of turmeric till its starts boiling.
- Now add the florets in the hot water and cook until crisp-tender, 5 to 6 minutes then drain the cauliflower florets and keep aside and gently wipe them dry.
In the meantime, chop the onion and crush the ginger-garlic green chilli and fennel in a hamam dasta (mortar pestle).
Chop tomatoes and keep aside.
Heat oil in a kadai or wok and season with cumin seeds. When they crackle, add a pinch of asafoetida.
Add the chopped onions and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or saute until tender.
Add the ginger-garlic, green chilli and fennel crushed and saute for a few seconds till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
Now add dry red chilli and all the spice powders (turmeric, red chili, coriander and cumin, Punjabi garam masala) and mix well for 1-2 minutes.
Next add in the chopped tomatoes and saute them until they soften and the oil starts to leave the sides of the masala.
Add the half boiled cauliflower florets plus salt and garam masala. Mix it well.
Add half a cup of water and cook till water is reduces.
Cook the cauliflower masala on a high flame for approx 10-15 minutes or till they are cooked completely.
Add the crushed kasuri methi, stir and turn off the fire.
Served with roti, plain paratha, naan or tandoori roti.