Ingredients for White Rice :
- Rice – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups (or as needed for different methods like I have mentioned above)
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp (optional)
How to Make White Rice :
- Take a deep pot or a big vessel with plenty of water. For cooking 1 cup of rice, take around 4-5 cups of water.
- Bring it to a vigorous boil. Now add the salt, the soaked rice and oil (if needed).
- Cook uncovered. After it comes to boil again, you can see the rice grains raising to the top and moving vigorously with the water.
- Finally when the rice is cooked, the rapid movement of rice subsides and the cooking liquid becomes whitish in colour. It is due to the starch of the rice released into the liquid.
- You need to carefully scoop out a few rice grains using a spoon and press between your palm and forefinger to see if it is cooked soft. If done, drain the rice using a colander.
- Wait for 5 minutes till all the liquid is completely drained before transferring the rice to the serving dish. You can place a vessel under the colander to collect the water drained out.
- The drained out liquid is called Rice water in english, Kanji Vellam in malayalam or Sadam vadicha kanji in tamil. Traditionally, little salt is added to this water and served as a beverage or gruel to kids, old and sick people. It is supposed to be very healthy. However, this kanji vellam tastes best only when drained out of brown rice or rosematta rice since only these rice varieties are packed with nutrition. My grandmother also used the rice water as a homemade starch to dunk her cotton sarees before drying them. This rice water was also used to wash the hair in olden days instead of shampoos. It gave a shiny and healthy look to the hair.