TOTAL TIME: 45 Minutes
Prepare for: 4 person
1 cup yellow Arhar Dal (lentils)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp ginger-chopped finely
2-3 pieces of Amchoor powder orÂ raw mango if it is season (use only seasonal fruits)
For the Tadka:
1 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
1 Tbsp clarified butter
1 Tbsp chopped green chillies
Method to Cook Arhar (toovar)Â Dal:
- Boil dal in about 4 cups of water, along with turmeric, salt, sugar and ginger.
- Cook till tender and well blended.
- Add amchoor and simmer for another 10 minutes or so.
- Heat the clarified butter in a heavy-based pan; add the asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- When they begin to splutter, add dal mixture, bring to a boil and leave to simmer for about 1 minute.
- Garnish with green chillies, Hari Dhaniya and serve hot.