- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Serves: 6 People
Ingredients to make Sri Lankan Pumpkin Curry :
- For the special curry powder – 2 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black Pepper
- 3 cardamon pods
- 2-3 dry red chilis
- Sprig of Curry Leaves
- 1 1/2 inch long Cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon Rice
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- Others – 1 tsp Rice bran oil
- 1 medium sized Onion(finely chopped)
- 3 Garlic flakes (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 red chili (broken into small pieces)
- 1 tsp Mustard powder
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Fenugreek Seed
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 pandan leaves, roughly torn into pieces
- 500g Pumpkin (peeled and diced into 1 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 cups thick Coconut milk
How to make Sri Lankan Pumpkin Curry :
Heat a frying pan. Add the rice to it and roast for 2-3 mins.
Then add all other spices (except for turmeric) meant for the curry powder and roast till they give off their fragrance.
Remove from flame and allow to cool down. Grind into a fine powder and mix turmeric with it.
Since this is more than what you need for the curry, keep the rest of it in an air-tight bottle in the fridge.
Heat the oil in a wok. Add the broken red chili, mustard and fenugreek seeds to it. Once they start popping, add the onions. Fry till translucent.
Add the chopped ginger and garlic. Fry for 2 mins before adding all the powdered spices.
Fry for a minute and then add the curry leaves, pandan leaves and pumpkin cubes.
Add the coconut milk to the wok and let it simmer on a low flame.
Once the pumpkin is cooked, add 2 levelled teaspoons of the curry powder and mix it well. (Add more curry powder if you like it spicy).
Remove from the flame and serve hot with white rice and yogurt.
Leave A Response
You must be logged in to post a comment.