- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Green gram (Moong) dal – 3/4 cup
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Ginger – 1″ piece (grated)
- Tamarind – a little piece (marble sized, soaked in water)
- Water – 5 cups
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Whole black pepper – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6-7
- Ghee/ Sesame oil – 2-3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 6-7
- Dry red Chillies – 2-3
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
How to Make Puli Pongal
- In a pressure cooker, take the rice, moong dal, water, required salt, grated ginger, asafetida and cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Wait till the pressure is released. The rice should be little overdone.
- Heat ghee in a small pan, splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper, curry leaves.
- Add this to the cooked rice dal mixture after the pressure is released.
- Fry the cashews in some ghee and add that too.
- In the mean time, make a powder of the ingredients under ‘to powder’ and add that to the pongal too.
- Add the tamarind juice also to the pongal.
- Mix everything together and cook the rice for another 5-7 minutes for the tamarind to get cooked.
- Add a spoon of sesame oil/ ghee. Puli pongal is ready to be Served.