Process for the syrup: (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup sugar
- Â½ cup water
- a generous pinch of saffron powder or crushed saffron (soaked in milk will be preferred)
- Fine chopped Pistachio
Process for preparing the boondi:
- 1 cup besan/gram flour
- a generous pinch of saffron powder/kesar or crushed saffron or Â saffronÂ soaked in a cup of milk
- Â¾ cup water
- 2 to 3 black cardamoms/badi elaichi, seeds removed and the skins removed
- Â½ tbsp magaz/melon seeds
- oil for deep frying
- a bit of oil or ghee for applying on the palms while shaping the ladoo
Process for preparing the sugar syrup:
- Dissolve sugar, saffron threads and water in a pan and keep it on the gas.
- Cook/boil the sugar solution till it reaches one thread consistency and then switch off the flame.
- Keep the sugar solution aside.
Process for preparing the boondi ka Ladoo:
- Prepare a smooth flowing batter of the gram flour/besan (Indian name), crushed saffron or Â saffronÂ soaked in a cup of milk and water. The prepared batter should not be be thick and thin. Water should be added depending on the quality of the the gram flour.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a deep pan (kadai). Â Simmer it to moderately hot. Take a perforated ladle/spoon and Â with your hands position the ladle above the oil. you will need one more large ladle/jhara to remove the fried boondis.
- Take a large spoon of the besan batter and pour it on perforated ladle/spoon. Move gently or press with the other spoon so that the batter falls down from the perforations into the hot oil.
- Fry the boondi (gram flour balls) till they become golden (about 45 seconds to 1 minute is enough to get the correct texture in the boondi – based on oil temperature). Do not try to over fry or make them crisp.
- Do not try to crisp the boondies else motichoor ladoos won’t be soft and they won’t be able to absorb the sugar syrup.
- Check the sugar syrup and if it is not hot, then just heat it gently but do not over heat.
- Add all the boodiesÂ immediately to the sugar syrup and stir and mix well. After puring to suger syrup, the boondis should get softened in the sugar syrup.
- If the size of boondi is bit big then in a blender or mixer add the boondi and the sugar syrup. add 1 tbsp of hot water and pulse the boondi mixture for a few times to get a smaller shape.
- However, in case somehow if the boondis are a bit crisp, then add 1 or 2 tbsp more of the hot water. the boondis absorb the hot water and thus remain soft and moist.
- Add the magaz/melon seeds, black cardamom seeds & Fine chopped Pistachio and mix it well/
- Now make it in small size golf size ball. the process of making is round, apply some oil or ghee on your palms and shape the motichoor ladoos. Make sure that the mixture would be warm when preparing the ladoos else on cooling they become firm.
- Finally you can garnish the motichoor ladoos with melon seeds/magaz or raisins or Fine chopped Pistachio.
Finally now your Motichoor ladoos are ready to serve. Enjoy the Motichoor Ladoos…!!