- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serves: 5 People
Ingredients to make Matar Chaat Recipe :
- Dry peas (Matar) – 2 cups [soaked in water overnight]
- 1 Lemon, quartered
- 1 medium sized Tomato, finely chopped
- For Toppings & Garnish: 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind pulp – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Cumin seeds/jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder/ amchoor – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Roasted Cumin powder/ bhuna jeera – 1 tsp
- Chaat Masala powder – 1 tsp
- A pinch of Asafoetida (hing)
- some Coriander leaves
How to make Matar Chaat Recipe :
Drain water from the soaked peas. Rub and wash again to discard any white skin.
Put them in a pressure cooker. Add 1 1/2 cups water.
Pressure cook on high heat till two whistles and reduce heat and let it cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
Strain the peas to discard any water. Remove any of those thin white skins.
Leave them in the strainer. Mash the peas with the backside of a karchi.
If using dry tamarind, soak in 1/4 cup of water, microwave for a minute, mash and strain to get tamarind water.
To prepare the matar, heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds. Remove from heat.
Add asafoetida, salt, and all the other masala’s – chat masala, roasted cumin powder, garam masala powder, red chilli powder and dry mango powder.
Return to heat and stir for 30 seconds. If using tamarind water, add it here.
Stir and immediately pour this mixture into the cooked matar/peas or add the cooked matar to this mixture.
Switch on the fire and heat through the matar for 3-4 mins.
Serve matar kulcha in bowls or plates. Top with onions, tomato, coriander and chilies.
Squeeze some lemon juice on top and mix lightly. Serve with kulchas or naans.
Leave A Response
You must be logged in to post a comment.