Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Serves: 4 People
Ingredients for Everyday Dal :
- Dal – 1 cup (Toor dal is commonly used but you can use any type of dal or a mix of dals each day)
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Green Chillies – 2 (chopped)
- Tomato – 1
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro – handful finely chopped
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Dry red chillies – 2
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Garlic – 4 cloves (crushed or chopped)
- Curry Leaves – few
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
How to Make Everyday Dal :
- Pressure cook the dal until it is nicely cooked but not mushy for about 2 whistles and keep aside. (Traditionally toor dal is used but you may use any other lentils or a combination of lentils. This will make it different in taste, texture and interesting each day.)
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Add asafoetida and turmeric powder to this.
- Next add finely chopped garlic cloves and fry it on low flame till it turns brown.
- Next add the onions and saute for a while. Add some chopped tomatoes and saute.
- Add the cooked dal required amount of salt and let it cook for 10 minutes till all the flavour blends. Add water as needed to your desired thickness.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves, a dollop of ghee and switch off.
- Pressure cook the dal along with the onions, turmeric powder, green chillies, salt and tomato.
- Cook everything together with enough water for 2 whistles. Note :- The normal ratio of water for a thick dal is 1:3 i.e 3 cups of water for 1 cup of dal. If you want a thinner dal, increase the amount of water.
- After the pressure comes down, open the cooker and add the tadka. For the tadka or tempering, heat oil/ ghee in a pan, splutter the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add dry red chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves and finely chopped garlic cloves.
- Cook on low flame till the garlic is cooked. Add this tadka on top of the dal for flavour and as a nice garnish. Also add finely chopped cilantro .