- Aval (Flattened Rice/ Poha) – 1 cup (You can make with white or red aval)
- Onion – 1 (small – chopped)
- Ginger – a tiny piece (about 1/2″ piece finely chopped or grated)
- Green Chili – 1 (sliced)
- Grated Coconut – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Lemon Juice – few drops (about 1/2 tsp)
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – a pinch (optional)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Peanuts (or Channa dal) – 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry Leaves – 5-6
- Dry Red Chili – 1
How to Make Aval Upma
- Take the aval in a big colander or a sieve and wash it under running water.
- Let it soak in that moisture for about 5-10 minutes while you get the other things ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and peanuts. Roast it on low flame till the peanuts are roasted and mustard seeds finish popping.
- Add the asafoetida, dry red chili and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions, ginger, green chili and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add the soaked aval and mix. Sprinkle few drops of water if needed. Cover with a lid, reduce the flame and cook for 5-7 minutes.