Prep time: 20
Cook time: 15
Serves: 10 People
Ingredients for Wheat Puranpoli :
- 1 cup toor dal
- 8 powdered green cardamom
- 1 cup jaggery powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered turmeric
- 6 cup wheat flour
- ghee as required
- 1 cup refined flour
How to Cook Wheat Puranpoli :
- To prepare this puranpoli recipe, first you need to make the Hoorna or the sweet stuffing. For the same, wash toor dal in a bowl and then add in the pressure cooker. Put it up on medium flame and add a cup of water to cover the dal. Close the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles or until soft. Once done, let the steam release on its own. Then, mash the dal and let it cool, and keep aside.
- Next, put a pan on medium flame and add the dal in it along with jaggery powder. Stir well continuously till the jaggery melts. Once mixed well, add the cardamom powder and let the mixture cook until the dal-jaggery mix starts separating from the pan, almost entering a soft, foldable, dough-like consistency. Now, take this stuffing out and keep in a bowl aside.
- For the outer roti dough, take the wheat flour, turmeric powder along with refined flour in a bowl. Mix them well. Knead with sufficient water to make a soft consistency. It will take almost 5 to 10 minutes of kneading. Finally, cover your palm with a little ghee and roll the entire dough in both your palms, and keep it back in the bowl.
- Now, for making the hot puranpolis – cut the entire dough in two halves. Take one half and roll it on the platform to a sausage shape. Cut 2-inch pieces from this and roll into balls, keep aside. Take one rolled out ball and with a rolling pin, roll into a 3 to 4-inch diameter.
- Now, take 1 tablespoon of the sweet hoorna stuffing and roll into a ball with your palms. Dust the sweet hoorna ball with a little flour and place in the middle of the rolled out roti.
- Start folding the sides of the roti over the stuffing like an envelope and then roll it into a full size roti.
- On a heated tawa, place the roti and cook on both sides with slight ghee or oil. Serve hot with hot ghee or milk.