Prep time: 5
Cook time: 30
Serves: 2 People
Ingredients for Vagharela Chawal :
- 1 cup long grain rice-cleaned, washed and soaked in water for 1/2 an hour
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup grated onions
- 1 Black cardamom
- 1/8 tsp broken up cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
How to Cook Vagharela Chawal :
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and put the sliced onions in it. Fry these over high heat, then lower heat and fry till onions are dark brown and crisp.
- Remove onions from oil with a slotted spoon, and leave to drain over absorbent paper.
- In the same oil, add the sugar, and let it melt and caramelize (dark brown). Further add the grated onions, cardamom, and cinnamon, and saute till they turn light brown.
- Drain the rice and add to the onion mixture, along with the salt.
- Turn around a few times to mix, add 1 1/2cups water and bring to a boil, covered, and then simmer for about 10 minutes, till the rice is cooked through and the water is absorbed.