Prep time: 60
Cook time: 60
Serves: 4 People
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Pie :
- 450 Gram Yams (red skinned)
- 150 Gram Condensed Milk
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Small Egg
- A pinch of Cinnamon
- To decorate Marshmallows
For the Pie Dough
- 350+ extra Gram All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 275 Gram Butter
- 5 Tbsp Ice cold water
- 1 Egg, mashed
How to Cook Sweet Potato Pie :
- Bake the yams until they have softened completely – they should be extremely tender. Cool, discard the skin and then blend the flesh into a paste.
- Mix the paste with the remaining ingredients and whisk well until everything is smooth and perfectly blended – you don’t want any lumpy bits in your filling.
- Add the filling into your crust and bake(about 50 minutes to 1 hour). Make sure to let it cool, then place in the fridge overnight.
For the Pie Dough:
- First, thoroughly blend your salt and flour together in the food processor.
- Cut the butter into evenly-sized cubes, place them evenly on top of the dry ingredients in your food processor, and then mix in short bursts.
- Do the process until the dough becomes clumpy and wet, and no flour remains.This may take a while.
- Now bring out the dough and place onto a heavily-floured surface. Add the cold water in, spoon by spoon, gently folding to make sure it is all absorbed.
- Now divide the dough into two portions (one for the bottom of the pie and one for the top) and roll both the pieces into discs. Wrap these discs separately in cling film and let them rest in the fridge for at least two hours.
- When you are ready to bake, bring out the dough and roll it out, in one direction, on a surface that has been heavily floured. Do this gently and do not flip it around too much like a chapati.
- Lay the dough on to your baking pan, making sure that it goes all round the sides, letting it hang over the rim. Prick it all the way round with a fork.
- Pour your filling into the dough and then unfurl the second disk in the same way to make a crust for the top. For a sweet pie, you can even make a wonderful criss-cross lattice design if you prefer.
- Lightly brush the egg on top the pastry (this egg wash will give your pastry that gorgeous golden glow), and cut four slits into the dough on the top. Bake in a preheated oven until golden.