Prep time: 45
Cook time: 90
Serves: 5 People
Ingredients for Shirin Polo :
- 1 orange
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 5 ounce carrot
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 cup basmati rice
- 2 tangerine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1/2 cup raisins
- powdered saffron as required
How to Cook Shirin Polo :
- To prepare this delicious dish, start by peeling the outer zest of oranges and tangerines using a sharp knife/ peeler. Do not peel the white pith. Then use scissors/ knife to cut the peels into thin stripes.
- Take a saucepan with water and add the stripes to it and boil for 5- 7 minutes. Repeat this step with fresh water once again. Once done, keep it aside.
- Next, boil some water and sugar to prepare a syrup and then add the stripes to it. Keep stirring the mixture. Then, take out the caramelized zest stripes and place them in a plate. Reserve the syrup for later use.
- In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter and saute the onions in it over medium low flame until they turn golden brown. Once done, keep them aside. Do the same with the carrots with 2 tablespoon of butter.
- Steam 3 cups of rice in a pressure cooker. Add some saffron powder for aroma and color before steaming them.
- Meanwhile, take a large frying pan with some butter in it and pile up the carrots, caramelized zest stripes, pistachios, almonds, and raisins separately in the corners of it. Drizzle the reserved syrup on them. Heat them over a low flame.
- Transfer the rice to a serving platter, then add some carrots, zest, and nuts and put rice over them. Repeat this step with the remaining carrots, zest, and rice in order to form a pyramid shape. Sprinkle the pistachios, almonds, and raisins and finally add the syrup again to finish. Serve.