Prep time: 10
Cook time: 50
Serves: 4 People
Ingredients for Sarson ka Saag :
To Pressure Cook :
- 250 grams mustard greens
- 250 grams mixed greens like spinach, bathua
- 1 medium onion
- 5-6 large garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 green chilies
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 3 inch white radish (mooli)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups water
- 2-3 tablespoons ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon hing
- 3-4 large garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
How to Cook Sarson ka Saag :
- Wash and chop the greens and then add them to the pressure cooker. Then add the chopped onion, garlic, ginger and green chilies.
- Add tomatoes and white radish. Then add the red chili powder and salt. Add 1.5 cups water and stir.
- Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles on high heat until everything is soft and done.
- Open the pressure cooker/instant pot and then use an immersion blender to puree the saag. If you don’t have an immersion blender, wait for it cool down a bit and then puree using your regular blender.
- Blend to a coarse paste. You may blend it to super fine texture using a high speed blender. I prefer it little coarse.
- Transfer saag to another pot on stove top over medium-low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of maize flour to the saag and mix, this helps in thickening the saag.
- Set heat to low and let the saag simmer for 20 to 25 minutes on low heat. It will thicken as it simmers.
- For the final tadka, heat a small pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot add ghee to it and then add hing and chopped garlic cloves. Saute for few seconds and then add the chopped onion and dried red chilies.
- Cook until the onions and garlic turn light golden brown. Add the coriander powder and garam masala and mix.
- Transfer the tadka/tempering to the saag and mix.