- Prep Time: 0 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Serves: 4 People
Ingredients to cook Punjabi Rajma Masala :
- 300 grams rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
- 2 large Onions very finely chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes blanched peeled and pureed
- 1 large Tomato finely chopped
- 1&1/2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1&1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1&1/2 tsp garam Masala powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1&1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi (dried Fenugreekleaves)
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required
- Blend together to a coarse paste:
- 8 nos Garlic cloves
- 2 green chilies ( you may add more)
- 1&1/2 inch Ginger piece
How to cook Punjabi Rajma Masala :
Clean and thoroughly wash rajma.
Soak them in enough of fresh water for 5-6 hours or overnight. once soaked, do not drain the water.
In a pressure cooker, add rajma along with water ( in which rajma was soaked) 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. pressure cook until rajma is done.
In a heavy bottom pan or handi, heat oil. Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
Add chopped onions and cook until pink and soft Add garlic-ginger-chili paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add finely chopped tomato. cover and cook until tomatoes are soft.
Add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, pureed tomatoes, salt and cook on high heat until it leaves the oil ( approx 3-4 minutes).
Once the masalas are cooked, add it to boiled rajma in pressure cooker.
At this stage adjust the consistency and check for salt if required and then pressure cook rajma for 2 more whistles.
After 2 whistles, lastly add sugar, lemon juice, garam masala powder, kasuri methi, butter and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Punjabi Rajma Masala is ready to be served with hot steamed rice and onion rings.
Leave A Response
You must be logged in to post a comment.