Prep time: 60
Cook time: 120
Serves: 8 People
Ingredients for Poornam Boorelu :
- 100 gm urad dal
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- mixed dry fruits as required
- water as required
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup refined oil
- 130 gm rice
- 200 gm chana dal
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered black cardamom
- 25 gm grated coconut
- 3 pinches baking soda
- 130 gm jaggery
How to Cook Poornam Boorelu :
- To prepare this recipe, start by soaking the rice and urad dal in water for 6 hours. Then, wash them a couple of times and put it in a grinder with a little water and grind it to form a smooth batter. Add the baking soda and then, the all-purpose flour and mix.
- Now, take the chana dal and rinse it a couple of times. In a deep-bottomed pan, pour water along with the chana dal and bring it to a boil. Cook it till it becomes soft but not mushy. When done, drain the water and let it cool down.
- Next, take a pan over medium flame and heat it. When it’s hot enough, turn down the flame and dry roast all the dry fruits. Put them in a grinder and grind them into a powder. Then, grind the chana dal into a powder, separately.
- Now, in the same pan, grate the jaggery and add chana dal powder, dry nuts powder, and grated coconut. Mix them well until the jaggery has completely melted and the mixture has turned into a halwa consistency. Finally, add the cardamom powder and ghee to the pan and mix well.
- When everything is done, start assembling the Poornam Boorelu. Take the chana dal mixture and divide it into small portions. Shape them into small balls and dip it into the urad dal-rice batter. Make sure that its evenly coated.
- Now, take a kadhai over medium flame and heat oil in it for frying. When the oil is hot enough, carefully add the prepared balls and fry them till they turn golden brown in colour. Transfer the fried Poornam Boorelu to a plate lined with absorbent paper.
- Finally, transfer them to a serving plate and enjoy the delicious Poornam Boorelu!