Prep time: 10
Cook time: 30
Serves: 2 People
Ingredients for Peerkangai Kootu :
- 250 gm ridge gourd, peeled and chopped
- 150 gm moong dal
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup of grated coconut
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 dried red chillies
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- A few sprigs of curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida
How to Cook Peerkangai Kootu :
- Boil the ridge gourd separately in a small quantity of water with turmeric and salt.
- Pressure cook the dal separately.
- Fry red chillies and urad dal in coconut oil (small quantity) till they turn golden brown.
- Add the coconut, pepper, jeera and curry leaves and stir fry. Cool it down and grind it to a coarse paste.
- Bring all the ingredients together and stir fry (add water if required).
- Temper the mustard, urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves in coconut oil and add it to the mixture.