Prep time: 15
Cook time: 30
Serves: 4 People
Ingredients for Palak Kadhi :
To make the batter :
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2/3 cup chickpea flour
- 100 grams spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 4 cups water
For the kadhi :
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 2-3 cups water
To temper :
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 1 onion
- paprika powder
How to Cook Palak Kadhi :
- Wash 100 gm spinach leaves and put them in a wok (kadhai), add 1-2 tbsp of water. In 3-4 minutes the leaves will shrink in size, switch off the flame and put the leaves in cold water. Puree the spinach and set aside.
Make the palak kadhi batter :
- In a bowl whisk together chickpea flour (besan) and yogurt. Add water gradually and mix to make sure there are no lumps.
- Also add turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Add the pureed spinach, water and mix. The batter will be very thin.
Make the kadhi :
- In a pan heat 2 tsp of oil and add cumin and fenugreek seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle add curry leaves and then add ginger. Saute for a minute till the ginger turns light golden brown in color.
- Add the yogurt-spinach-gram flour batter into the pan and mix.
- Stir continuously till the kadhi comes to a boil. Once the kadhi has come to a boil add 2-3 cups of water.
- Cover and let it cook for around 20 minutes on medium-low flame.
- After 20 mins, add the finely chopped spinach leaves and salt into the kadhi and mix.
- Cook for another 15- 20 minutes on low flame and then switch off the flame.
Temper the kadhi :
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee or oil a pan.
- Once hot, add whole dried chillies and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped onions and fry till they are translucent.
- Add the onions and chillies to the kadhi and mix.
- Garnish with paprika powder and coriander leaves.