Prep time: 15
Cook time: 45
Serves: 2 People
Ingredients for Karela Dahiwala :
- 6-8 karelas
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup hung curd
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp fennel seeds-roasted and coarsely pounded
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds-roasted and coarsely pounded
- 1/4 cup mustard oil
How to Cook Karela Dahiwala :
- Scrape off the rough surface of the bitter gourd; chop into rounds, rub all over with 1 Tbsp salt and keep aside for about 30 minutes.
- Mix in the yogurt, turmeric, ginger powder, chilli powder, roasted cumin, asafoetida, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Squeeze the bitter gourd to remove the bitter juice.
- In a pan, heat oil and add spice mix.
- Add the bitter gourd. Mix all well.
- Turn over a few times on high flame.
- Reduce heat and cook them covered, till tender, stirring a few times so that they are cooked and browned all round, and fat separates.