Prep time: 10
Cook time: 75
Serves: 2 People
Ingredients for Kanji Vada :
- 2 Litre water
- 2 pinches of asafoetida
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 100 gms moong dal
- to taste salt
- oil for frying
How to Cook Kanji Vada :
- Take water in a vessel and let in simmer on flame. After this let it cool down and then pour into glasses or plastic container.
- To it then add asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, yellow mustard, salt, black salt and mix everything really well.
- Close the container tightly with a lid and keep aside for 3 days. Stir the kanji everyday with a clean and dry spoon.
- Kanji tastes great on the fourth day when all spices mix to the water. Tangy-zingy and yummy kanji is ready.
- To make vadas, clean moong dal thoroughly and soak in water for 2 hours. Drain out the excess water later.
- Grind the soaked moong dal in a mixture jar coarsely. Take out the dal in a mixing bowl and add salt to it. Whisk well.
- Heat enough oil in a wok or pan to deep fry the vadas.
- Pinch small ball from the mixture and drop it to the hot oil. Place 8 to 10 vadas in oil at a time or as many as possible.
- Now deep fry the vadas till they get fluffy and golden brown from all sides.
- Drain out the fried vadas on paper kitchen towels to remove excess oil.
- Soak these fried vadas in lukewarm water for 15 minutes and then squeeze out the excess water.
- Place 4 to 5 vadas in one serving of kanji.