Prep time: 10
Cook time: 30
Serves: 2 People
Ingredients for Guar Ki Sabzi :
- 1 bowl guar, chopped (beans)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 2 onions, chopped (approximately half a bowl)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 ml water (2 cups)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp white jaggery
- 1 green chili (slit vertically through the middle)
- 2 tsp crushed peanut powder
- Groundnut chutney (shengdaane ki chutney)
How to Cook Guar ki Sabzi :
- Take 2 Tbsp of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds followed by asafoetida and onions. Keep stirring until onions turn golden.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder, one followed by the other. Keep stirring until the masala is cooked and oil starts oozing out of the masala.
- Add chopped beans (1 inch pieces) to the pan followed by salt. At this stage, add approximately 100 ml (2 cups) of water to the pan. Continue stirring.
- Next, you add grounded/pounded masala to the pan and a bit of jaggery in order to level off the spices and chilies. In case you want it spicier, then add 1 chili vertically slit in half.
- To this, you add crushed peanut powder which is a Maharashtrian specialty and your Gawaar ki Bhaaji is ready.
- Traditionally the gawaar ki bhaaji is eaten with Shehendaane ki chutney (groundnut chutney) and Bhaakhri or roti’s.