Prep time: 10
Cook time: 60
Serves: 5 People
Ingredients for Dal Kachori :
- 1/2 Cup Arhar ki daal (husked pigeon peas/yellow lentils, soaked for 5-6 hours)
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Heeng (asafoetida) powder
- 2 tsp Green chillies
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Khus khus (poppy seeds)
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Garam masala
For outer covering:
- 1 Cup Maida (refined flour)
- 3 Tbsp Ghee/oil
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- for deep frying Oil
How to Cook Dal Kachori :
- Drain dal and grind coarsely.
- Heat oil and add jeera. When it splutters, add ginger, heeng, green chillies and saute till the color changes a bit.
- Add dal, salt, garam masala, chilli powder, khus khus, coconut and saute till it’s ‘fried’. Add about 1/4 cup water and cook till dal is cooked through. Mix in the tamarind and sugar and keep aside.
- Mix baking powder and salt into the maida. Rub ghee/oil into the maida, add water and knead into stiff dough. Rest, cover for 15 minutes.
- Make walnut sized rounds of the dal mixture.
- Break pieces of dough and roll into walnut sized rounds. Roll these flat into 1/4 inch rounds and pinch about 1/2 of the edge all around, leaving the centre thicker.
- Now wet the pressed edges, and place a ball of the filling in the centre. Bring the wet edges together, covering the filling completely, and pinch together to seal.
- Heat oil and deep-fry the kachoris, first over high heat, then over medium heat so that it cook’s through, and browns evenly.