Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Serves: 2 People
Ingredients for Bharwan Karela :
How to Cook Bharwan Karela :
- To make this interesting karela recipe, preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius (350 degree Fahrenheit). Wash the bitter gourd and dry them, peel the skin as per your taste (to maintain the bitterness).
- Slice each bitter gourd from the center and scrape out the inside including the seeds using a teaspoon.
- Place the karela on a baking tray and bake for 30-45 minutes till it starts to shrink and turns brown. If the karela is thick, it may require a bit longer, so keep checking.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over medium flame and add the onions in it. Stir fry until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add all the spices with salt in the pan and mix well. Fry for a few seconds and remove from the heat.
- Once cooled, use a spoon or your hands and stuff the karela with equal amounts of the mixture. Smear any extra stuffing or oil on the karela.
- You can bake the karela again for a further 10-15 minutes or pan-fry the stuffed karela in a teaspoon of oil for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve this dish with rice and dal or with chapati and a sabzi. Once cooked the karela can be refrigerated for up to a week.