Prep time: 15
Cook time: 45
Serves: 4 People
Ingredients for Authentic Saag Paneer :
- 2 bunches spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fenugreek leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 pound paneer, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
How to Cook Authentic Saag Paneer :
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook spinach and fenugreek in the boiling water until wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a food processor. Puree until finely chopped, about 5 pulses.
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry paneer cubes, stirring constantly, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in the skillet and fry the cumin seeds until lightly toasted and aromatic, about 3 minutes. Add onion; cook and stir until onion begins to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in ginger, garlic, tomato, garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne pepper; cook and stir until tomatoes break down and onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and fenugreek, cream, paneer cubes, and salt to taste. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.