Ingredients to cook Chena Poda (Paneer Cake) :
- 1 1/2 cup paneer
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 2 tablespoon cashews
- 1/2 tablespoon powdered green cardamom
- 2 tablespoon semolina
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee
How to Cook Chena Poda (Paneer Cake) :
- Take a heavy-bottomed deep pan and put it on medium flame, and heat milk in it. Bring it to a boil and keep stirring to avoid the burning of milk.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, lower the flame and let it simmer. Next, start adding lemon juice in the milk and keep stirring (if required, add more lemon juice to curdle up the milk). Cook the milk for a few seconds until the milk solids gets separates from the whey and you will see the water getting separated from the milk. Switch off the burner, once done.
- Pour this curdled milk to lined muslin cloth over a strainer and squeeze out all the whey water. Then, rinse the chhena under the tap water properly, otherwise you will get the smell of lemon while having it.
- Hang the cloth covered chhena or homemade paneer for 30 minutes. It will help to squeeze more water from chhena or paneer. Make sure you do not drain it for too long and the chhena does not get too dry. It should be moist enough to knead smoothly. The homemade chhena is ready by now.
- Now in a big plate, take homemade chhena or paneer and knead it very well till no lumps are remaining. Add, semolina and powdered sugar in it along with the rest of the chopped ingredients. Mash it thoroughly and make a soft dough.
- To get a caramelized effect on the top, apply a tablespoon of ghee to the cake pans. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on the pan and hold the pan slightly above gas stove for a few minutes to melt the sugar. Spread the melted sugar evenly.
- Then, pour the chenna mix over the caramelized sugar. Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius or 350 degree Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Then, put the chhena mixed cake pan in oven and bake it for 45 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick to check, if it has been cooked. Once done, cool it for 2 to 3 hours and then turn it upside down. Slice and serve. It stays fresh for a week in the fridge.